Inside the Building Power section, you’ll find:
1. Building Power in Action: Hill-Snowdon Foundation.
2. Kick-off group exercise for your assessment team to explore questions such as:
- What does it mean for us to advance equity? To build power?
- What are our positive associations with the idea of building power and equity?
- What are our negative associations? What assumptions or fears underlie them?
3. Sample questionnaires to guide the collection of internal data and external feedback vital to your assessment. Topics include:
- To what extent does the foundation embody equity, diversity and inclusion internally?
- What evidence do stakeholders see that our current goals and strategies are likely to achieve more equitable systems and outcomes for marginalized communities?
- How do we support and empower marginalized communities to define solutions and lead change?
4. Discussion guide to help your team analyze and reflect on your synthesized internal and external data and feedback. What does this information tell you about your current approaches? How might you apply new insights in your strategies and practices for greater effectiveness? Examples of questions include:
- What surprised us about constituent feedback on this topic?
- To what extent do we have a shared understanding with our grantees about how to build power to advance equity?
- What are some outside-the-box ideas we’ve heard about that could help us support power building?
- What additional information would we need to decide which strategies to pursue?
5. Next steps tools, including:
- A visual aid to see where you are on the continuum, from beginning to building power to fully building power.
- Several tips for implementing new power-building strategies, such as: evaluating your grantmaking with an equity lens.
Not sure if you’re ready for a Power Moves self-assessment?
Find out with this Readiness Assessment Checklist. And if you’re not yet ready, the checklist offers next steps to get you closer to a Power Moves self-assessment.
We’re here to help
Don’t know where to start? Our Philamplify team can help you on your power journey for equity and justice. Contact us at (202) 387-9177 x31 or email@example.com.